Home remodeling or renovations are usually done on older homes because of the homeowner’s want for an upgrade. So if you live in an old house, you might be considering having your kitchen remodeled. Before you begin, you should take the time to gather all the information that you will need so that your kitchen remodel project turns out to be a success.
At Midtown Builders Group, we offer construction services such as Renovation, Custom Homes, Additions, Light Commercial Construction, etc. Kitchen remodel projects can be tricky, and if done improperly, it can cost you thousands of dollars and you’ll be dealing with a kitchen that you will be unhappy with. If you are searching for the dos and don’ts of kitchen remodeling, you came to the right place. We advise you to keep reading below to learn out more information about this.
Do’s of Kitchen Remodeling
1. Create a budget – Before you start planning for anything about your kitchen remodel project, you should prepare a budget that you think will be enough to cover all the expenses that will be incurred during the kitchen remodel project. If you have been saving money for your home’s remodel project, then you may have an idea of what your budget will be like, so you need to plan this out before you find a contractor that offers construction services like the Midtown Builders Group.
2. Check the available space – If you have already prepared your budget, then you need to check the available space in your current kitchen so you know how much space you have to work with. If you want to do a complete kitchen remodel, then you can also consider working with the available cabinet space that you currently have in your kitchen so you can look into other cabinet models that can be used during the remodeling project.
3. Get a kitchen island – If you have enough space in your kitchen, then a kitchen island is something that you might want to consider. A kitchen island will add storage and seating if you have to entertain your family and friends during parties or celebrations. An island will also add countertop space especially if you use your kitchen frequently for cooking, baking, and the preparation of ingredients.
4. Improve the lighting as much as possible – A kitchen is a room in your home that needs to have a lot of light. If you want to incorporate more natural light, then more windows will need to be added. You can also consider getting mood lighting so that you can dim the lights whenever you want to. You can also use pendant lights or accent lighting.
5. Create wide walkways – Paths in the kitchen must be at least 36 inches wide. The walkway in the cooking zone must be at least 42 inches if it is a one-cook kitchen and it should be wider if you are going for a two-cook configuration. If you’re getting a kitchen island, you have to think about how this will go with the available kitchen space.
6. Get a pull-out wastebasket cabinet – A wastebasket is a great addition to your existing kitchen cabinets. It is highly convenient and will make your life easier especially if your kitchen has a tendency to get busy. If you will be using your existing kitchen cabinets, then you can look into having a pull-out trash bin built into your cabinets, which makes for a cleaner and more efficient setup.
7. Install ceiling lights on your countertops – Lighting in the kitchen is an important aspect that you need to consider so that you can have a well-lit workspace. You can get recessed lights on the edge of your countertop and place them four feet apart from each other.
8. Consider the flow of the kitchen – If you want to redesign the layout of your kitchen you can check the floor plan and draw lines coming from your refrigerator to your stovetop and kitchen sink. The flow of the lines must form a triangle. If it is not forming a triangle, you can reposition your appliances to make your kitchen’s flow better.
9. Be careful in selecting your materials – When selecting the materials that you will use for your kitchen remodel, you should check all the details and read reviews online. You can also ask your contractor about the kind of materials that they can recommend to you. You should be careful in selecting the materials so that you don’t end up with materials that don’t hold up well in your kitchen.
10. Get lots of counter space – If you love to cook or if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen baking or preparing food, then you need to have a lot of counter space in your kitchen. It should be placed between the cooking range and the kitchen sink. Another important point to consider is countertop height so that you can bake, cook, and prepare everything with ease and no worries, especially if you have kids that will be involved in the preparation.
Don’ts of Kitchen Remodeling
1. Doing the remodeling on your own – Remodeling your home is not be a DIY project that you should be doing without consulting an expert in construction and renovation services. A professional contractor like Midtown Builders Group can help you with your remodel project, offer tips and advice, and provide you with recommendations that can guarantee the success of your kitchen remodel project.
2. Not considering your backsplash – A backsplash is one of the focal points in your kitchen, so you need to pay attention to it. You can choose a color with different shades but with the same tone so that it will be a great addition to your kitchen’s sophisticated appearance.
3. Overcrowding the kitchen space – When remodeling your kitchen, you should avoid overfilling the space currently available. It can affect how your kitchen looks and will feel smaller once the project has been completed. If you love cooking and using the space to entertain your guests, then it will become a challenge for you because you will have limited space to work with. Make sure that you use your available space wisely if you want your remodel project to go well.
4. Forgetting about storage – When handling a kitchen remodel, your kitchen storage is one of the most important aspects that you need to work on. You must consider getting lots of storage space so you can use it to store your items. One area to improve on is your cabinet and pantry space. A lot of kitchen remodel projects focus on making the most of what space is available in the kitchen.
5. Positioning your appliances next to the wall – When remodeling your kitchen, you have to make sure that you have enough space for your appliances. If you place your refrigerator or oven directly next to the wall, it can make it hard for you to open the door completely. Leave enough room so that it won’t be too crowded. You must place your appliances away from the walls so that you can open them or use them without any obstructions in the way. When positioning your oven you can place it with a cabinet on either side so that you can have enough of a workspace on both sides.
6. Not choosing the appliances before the project begins – If you are doing a remodeling project for your kitchen you must consider choosing your appliances before it begins. It must be included in the planning part of the remodeling project so that you can place it within the available spaces accordingly. You can easily fit cabinets and countertops to fit with the appliances rather than the other way around. You must plan the appliances that you will place in your kitchen such as the dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, etc.
7. Not preparing a budget – When remodeling your kitchen or any part of your home, you should prepare a budget that you are willing to spend. By having a budget prepared, you will know when to limit yourself to avoid going over budget.
If you have a contractor that will help with the remodeling project, then you should discuss your budget with them as this will allow them to help you plan the perfect kitchen for you that fits within your budget. You must also give yourself enough wiggle room in your budget in case any issues arise during the remodeling of your kitchen.
8. Placing the wastebasket far from the sink – If you place your trash can near your kitchen sink it will be convenient for you. You can place it below your sink or next to your sink in the lower cabinet. If you have to constantly clean your sink of food particles, having the wastebasket near you is the most reasonable thing to do.
9. Neglecting counter space – Counter space is an important aspect in your kitchen that must be given importance above everything else. Never settle for less. You must consider extending your counter space by using shelving supports or corbels that will increase the available space on your countertop. This will give you a good working space whenever you are cooking, baking, or preparing foods.
10. Use pot racks or shelves – You should avoid decorating your kitchen with a pot rack or shelf that will show off your pans and pots. If you have a mismatched cookware set, it will not be practical to show it off and for it to be out in the open. Proper storage of your pans and pots will keep them clean and dust-free whenever you need to use them for cooking.
Remodeling is not an easy task to undertake, but if you want to have your dream kitchen, then this is something that you need to go through with. If you need help with your kitchen remodel project, then it’s best to leave this to a professional. If you live in Metro Atlanta, Georgia, or in the nearby area, choose Midtown Builders Group for all of your renovation needs. Make sure to check out our gallery of work here. You can click this link if you want to check our projects and you can contact us by filling up this contact form here.
If you want to renovate or remodel your kitchen you must choose a company that offers construction services. If you are located in Metro Atlanta, Georgia Midtown Builders Group is worth checking out. Our company offers construction services for a wide range of needs.
If you have any questions or inquiries about the company or the services that we are currently offering please do not hesitate to contact us. Our owner and President Jeff Cain’s can be reached via his phone number: 706-457-0012 and email address: [email protected]
You can also contact our Chief Operations Officer Todd Kimbal by giving him a call at 770-500-9014 or sending him an email at [email protected] We are located at 4062 Norton Place SE, Smyrna, GA 30082. What are you waiting for? We look forward to helping you build your dream home, so contact us today!